Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Paradise Lost

A couple of days ago, I visited Universal Book Shop here in Lucknow for my regular dose of books. Books all around, a pleasant and soothing site for a book junkie like me. Though I purchased some books, but some books I was looking I could not spot there (Was looking for Peter Singer's Practical Ethics and Thomos Samual Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions) . Most of the stacks were full of popular fiction, gardening, religion and competitive books.

I started thinking about the IIFM days, how wonderful were those days! Just move into your library and the collection there is nothing really less than a heaven for a booklover. Though one may not find authors like Archer, Sheldon, King etc. in galore, but what one can find there, may not find at the most of the places. From the day one, when I got my library card (I still remember my card no. just two short of being Mr.Bond, it was P-005. Can anyone guess who was P-007?) i got my full quota of book issued. five of them. It was tough choice to select 5 of them. And no, I never went for what was given in the reference list for several course curricula.

In few weeks, I have savoured many and fortunately discovered that my dear roomie is generous enough to lend me his library card and Igot option for around ten books. Though academic pressure had a bit of affect on my book reading, but very soon we were able to evolve in exam-tension proof creatures, who came out of slumber just 3-4 days before the exams and manage take them head on (I am not advocating anything here, so please use your own discretion).

It was real pleasure to find some great books which I had never heard of. In my opinion, the IIFM library is the most memorable experience for most of the IIFMights (even for non-book lovers as well.. they enjoy library more than the book lovers... its calm soothing ambience.. oh so nice..).

I still remember one of faculty member saying " You will know the importance of this library once you are out of IIFM" . He was dead right ...Probably I would not be able to enjoy 'the Paradise' again for that long.

Technorati tags: , ,

3 comments:

kunal said...

Nice post...Really delighted to see that people remember IIFM library after passing out....tht compells me to visit the library for 7th time today ;-)

Akhand said...

haan library to achi thi..

swats.... said...

i too miss it very very badly...khaaskar the collection of journals and the newspapers...well i must say..i used to get updated by femina magazine also..lol...