Thursday, September 02, 2004

Its Interesting

The Princess of Amen-Ra lived in 1050 B.C. When she died, she was laid in an ornate wooden coffin and buried deep in a vault at Luxor,on the banks of the Nile.In the 1880s, four rich young Englishmen visiting the excavations atLuxor were invited to buy an exquisitely fashioned mummy casecontaining the remains of the Princess of Amen-Ra. They drew lots.The man who won paid several thousand pounds and had the coffintaken to his hotel. A few hours later, he was seen walking outtowards the desert. He never returned.
The next day, one of the remaining three men was shot by an Egyptianservant accidentally. His arm was so severely wounded it had to beamputated. The third man in the foursome found on his return homethat the bank holding his entire savings had failed. The fourth mansuffered a severe illness, lost his job and was reduced to sellingmatches in the street.Nevertheless, the coffin reached England (causing other misfortunesalong the way), where it was bought by a London businessman. Afterthree of his family members had been injured in a road accident andhis house damaged by fire, the businessman donated it to the British Museum. As the coffin was being unloaded from a wagon in the museumcourtyard, the wagon suddenly went into reverse and trapped a passer-by. Then as the casket was being lifted up the stairs by twoworkmen, one fell and broke his leg. The other, apparently inperfect health, died unaccountably two days later.Once the Princess was installed in the Egyptian Room, trouble reallystarted. Museum's night watchmen frequently heard frantic hammeringand sobbing from the coffin. Other exhibits in the room were also often hurled about at night. One watchman died on duty; causing theother watchmen wanting to quit. Cleaners refused to go near the Princess, too. When a visitor derisively flicked a dust cloth at theface painted on the coffin, his child died of measles soonafterwards.Finally,the authorities had the mummy carried down to the basement,figuring it could not do any harm down there, while leaving the lidof the coffin on display. (The lid of the coffin (Exhibit No. 22542)is still there!) Within a week, one of the helpers was seriouslyill, and the supervisor of the move was found dead on his desk.
By now, the papers had heard of it. A journalist photographer took apicture of the mummy case and when he developed it, the painting onthe coffin was of a horrifying, human face. The photographer was said to have gone home then, locked his bedroom door and shothimself. Soon afterwards, the museum sold the mummy to a privatecollector. After continual misfortune (and deaths), the ownerbanished it to the attic. A well-known authority on the occult, Madame Helena Blavatsky, visited the premises. Upon entry, she wassized with a shivering fit and searched the house for the sourceof "an evil influence of incredible intensity". She finally came to the attic and found the mummy case. "Can you exorcise this evilspirit?" asked the owner. "There is no such thing as exorcism. Evilremains evil forever. Nothing can be done about it. I implore you to get rid of this evil as soon as possible." But no British museum would take the mummy; the fact that almost 20 people had met withmisfortune, disaster or death from handling the casket, in barely 10years, was now well known.Eventually, a hardheaded American archaeologist (who dismissed thehappenings as quirks of circumstance), paid a handsome price for the mummy and arranged for its removal to New York. In April of 1912,the new owner escorted its treasure aboard a sparkling, new WhiteStar liner about to make its maiden voyage to New York.Because the reputation of the mummy was well known, the owner, who was a chess player named William T. Stead, was afraid that his cargo would not be loaded. Therefore, he secretly arranged for the mummyto be hidden under the body of a new Renault automobile, which wasbeing transported to America on the ship. Stead did not reveal thetruth about his cargo to the other passengers until the night beforethe next disaster.On the night of April 14, amid scenes of unprecedented horror, the Princess of Amen-Ra accompanied 1,500 passengers to their deaths atthe bottom of the Atlantic.
The name of the ship was Titanic.

1 comment:

Nitin Bagla said...

Good story.AAPne to hamaare gyan chakshu khol diye.
Next time when u write,give proper spaces to words.